Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pacesetters' Putrajaya Night Run

I would call it a fun run or mingle run. We reached putrajaya almost 8.30pm and most runners had already registered. Some were warming up. Some were already dripping sweat. Wah.. didn't look like a fun run to me. They are serious runners and familiar faces among pacesetters members. There were kids too, so it shouldn't be that hard. Frankly, I was a bit nervous. Haha! Its not that its my first time running. I've been doing 6km everyday alone or with a friend but this would be my first run with a bib! Whats the difference? Whats the big deal? I can't tell.. really. Maybe its just my first time before i prepare myself with more serious run events in the future!

The registration fee was quite cheap, so what the heck! For a $5 registration fee and you get a goodie bag worths over $50, why not?! The food and refreshments was good too. Lots of kuihs. A friend asked if i want to do 5km or 10km. I'd go for 5km fun run with the kids... hahaha.. chicken out, huh? I asked him couple times.. "You tak seganke buat 5km?" Yeah for an ironman and for someone who has done full marathons.. 5km would be just a warm up. But he didn't mind at all. Actually i wanted to proceed with 10km but i don't trust my ankle. It was slightly injured during my evening run the day before, so i didn't want to push it too hard. I can hear clicking sound on my right ankle each time i thump my feet.

goodie bag!

The run began at 8.30 and I ran and ran slowly.. passed by few runners. There was a group of runners who didn't stop talking from the beginning of the run till i don't remember when. They were cracking jokes and laughing all the way. Wow, they must have lots of stamina to do that! That makes the run more fun! The night was clear and calm even though we thought it was going to rain in Putrajaya. It rained in KL all the way.

Regardless my aching feet, i tried to run all through 5km. No walk. I was holding my pee at the same time. I wanted to pee badly. I made it. Reached the finishing in 33mins and ambushed the loo to answer some nature calls. Not a good timing but i wasn't aiming high. I'm a slow runner. I know that. But i enjoyed every bit of it.

A friend refreshed my mind by quoting my phrase months back before i started running. I used to say this to him.."I can never run 1km.. not even 100m without grasping for air!". I smirked. He said.. "Look now, you can run 5km non-stop!" I laughed.. and i'm proud of myself.. i want to run more. I'll do 10km next time. I think its doable for me.

No comments: